Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Spelling Bee Champ

Joyanne took 1st place in her 5th Grade Spelling Bee.
So did the other 2 kids. 
The contest got down to these last 3 kids and they kept spelling all the words correctly.
They went through the whole list and then did spelling words they had from the previous 2 weeks.
They continued to spell them all correctly.
Finally they decided to do 5 more rounds off the Spelling Bee List and when they all still spelled them correctly, they awarded all three kids 1st place. 
Joyanne did so well.
But on one of her words she was asked to spell "phonograph".
She said and spelled "photograph".
The judges said she spelled the wrong word, but she said she thought they said "photograph".
I spoke out and said I heard "photograph" and other parents said they heard that as well.
So they gave Joyanne another word to spell and she spelled it correctly.
Whew! Glad she did well.
She studied hard, writing every word 10 times or more.
And then having me go over her whole list 2 times with her.

On another note, I went to a PTO meeting here.
Nice group of moms here.
I learned that they did a fundraiser where they raised over $7,000 by asking parents for donations.
The students who brought in the most donations, got a prize.
The top prizes were 3 Kindles and then other prizes.
They said they spent only $400 in prizes.
Each child had to bring in $50 to be entered into the drawing for prizes.
Some kids had their name in a couple of times.
Sounds like a good fundraiser.


3 comments:

  1. Wow...Way to go, Joyanne (and her mom)!!! That's amazing and very exciting! So, are all three of them going on to the District Spelling Bee? (I sense a lot more word studying ahead.) It reminds me of my Spelling Bee days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think they go on to District. I wish they did, but they don't send them on. I won 1st place when I was in 6th grade. It was a happy day to see her win too.

      Delete
  2. that's so cool! glad to hear that all of them won. I'm a HORRIBLE speller.

    ReplyDelete