Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

I would wish you a "Happy" Memorial Day, but that sounds a little funny.
I think of Memorial Day as a more solemn occasion.
A day to remember those who have passed on.

Both of my grandfathers served in World War II.
My paternal grandfather was actually at Pearl Harbor the day it was bombed.
It was on a Sunday and my grandfather was given leave to go to church.
But I think the guy who replaced my grandfather sunk with the bombing of the ships.
One of my dad's earliest memories, when he was about 2 years old, was having his dad show him around one of his ships.
We are far away from any family graves so we did something a little different to remember others.
We went to the cemetery near our home.
We bought flowers and put them on graves that had no flowers, especially the older graves.
Then we played a little game.
We went around to see who could find the oldest grave.
I think the oldest we found was from someone born in 1811.
Then we went around to try and find a grave with our first name on it.
We also took some paper and crayons and engraved the fun designs or pictures onto the paper.
I've seen a few sayings to remember that today is not National BBQ day, but we did grill up some hamburgers and hot dogs.
I used the grill all by myself since Daddy was working and the meat turned out all right.

The kids had fun running in the sprinklers, jumping on the trampoline, throwing balls for Trixie, and blowing the bubbles Aunt Linda gave us.
Thank you, Aunt Linda!

No comments:

Post a Comment