Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Moving Forward

My sister-in-law texted me today:
"Is normal resuming for you?"
Normal? What's normal?
When a baby is born or someone special in your life dies, there's no more normal . . . just a new normal.
 
I still miss my sister, but I know with time it will get easier.
Thankfully and sadly, Daddy knows what I am going through because he lost his mom when he was 17 years old.
 
Last night Joyanne had me sing "Once I had a Little Sister" to her for bed.
"Once I had a little sister with brown eyes and shiny hair.
A playful pretty little sister gaily dancing everywhere.
Out in the garden we spent many happy hours,
Reading, singing, playing, working, tending beds of plants and flowers.
 
Came one day our cousin, Lily, having leave to spend the day.
And I thought my little sister was too young and in the way.
Coaxing and chiding would not make her leave us free,
And as I stole off with Lily, she was sure to follow me.
 
So I sharply scolded Mary who would not agree to stay,
Then I quickly turned and struck her, and, in haste, we ran away.
"Sister, oh, sister, wait," she cried, "oh, wait for me."
But we only ran the faster 'til so far she could not see.
 
Thus we rambled through the valleys, picking flowers and blossoms gay,
And our lips were stained with berries through the long sweet Summer day.
Hillside and meadow, we two traversed with delight,
When the shade grew long, we parted with a kiss and fond goodnight.
 
But the morrow brought me sorrow, darling Mary could not rise.
Oh, the burning hands and forehead, parching lips and heavy eyes.
"Sister, oh, sister, wait," she cried, "oh, wait for me."
And I thought my heart was breaking while for tears, I could not see.
 
Thus she raved both night and morning, ever calling me to stay.
And the fever slowly wasted her sweet form and life away.
Sister, oh, sister, I am grieving day by day,
For that darling little sister whom I struck, then ran away."
 
The tears streamed down my face as I thought about my sister.
I know faith and hope will help me through.
Support and love from friends and family has also helped.
The temple really lifted my spirits and inspired me.
 
Daddy took the boys to library reading time today.

 
Our new puppy, Mira, has been a great comfort to all of us.
She brightens our lives and makes us laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment