Thursday, April 25, 2013

Taking Time to Listen

 
Tonight was one of those nights I can say "I'm glad to be a mom!"

Hiram has been struggling at home and we, his parents, have been struggling with him too.
A few months ago, Hiram was diagnosed by one doctor with ADHD.
His elementary teacher said she could definitely see it in Hiram.
The doctor gave Hiram Amphatamine (sp?), also known as adderol.
The drug gave Hiram stomach aches, but it did mellow him out at first.
We, his parents, didn't like him on this drug that could potentially become addictive and cause other side effects.  So we took him off.
He still struggles, but we are finding other ways to cope and work through this.

Tonight I sat down with Hiram before bed and we talked about his worries.
He opened up and talked about what was hard at home . . . like how he didn't like sitting in time-out.
We talked about how to handle things when he feels mad or upset.
I think by the end of our conversation, Hiram felt valued and understood.
I feel closer to and more understanding of Hiram.

Then I went to tuck Noah in and we also had a good conversation.
He felt cared about and loved as I sat and talked with him.

When I would stay at my sister-in-law's house, Susan, and she would spend sooooo long tucking in her kids, I used to wonder why and how tiring it seemed.
She just let them talk and talk.
I didn't think I could do that because I'm usually so worn out.
But tonight I could see the value in that one-on-one time with each kid and how they really need it.

I have been praying to feel a closeness with my kids.
Lately I've felt farther and farther from them with trying to sell our house, pack it, and move.
But tonight was an eye opener for me.
I will take the time to really listen to my kids, to value them, and talk with them even when it seems inconvenient or I'm tired.
My kids will come first!

No comments:

Post a Comment