Saturday, February 19, 2022

A Devastating Loss - April 2021

Look at these boys and their building skills!
Nice job James and Grant.

This is quite a story.
Cozette was due with her last batch of puppies at the beginning of May 2021.
Cozette was 5 years old and ready to deliver.
She started spotting a green fluid so I took her into the vet.
They said she may have been miscarrying.
They took an ultra sound and counted 4 pups and 4 heartbeats.
I took her home and watched her closely.
She was about 1 week before her due date.
She started spotting a lot more, so back to the vet we went.
In retrospect, I should have let nature take its' course.
They decided to induce her.
The first puppy was born and died shortly after.
The puppies were too little to be born.
I took her home to have the rest.
She ended up having 5 more puppies over the next 3 days.
None of the puppies survived very long.
Cozette was distraught. I was distraught.
Cozette's health deteriorated through the weekend.
I took her to a different vet, who gave her some antibiotics.
Thankfully, Cozette got better after that.
I realized from this experience how much Cozette means to me and all of us.
She is one of our family!

This puppy was born from Roper and another dog he mated with.
We were able to sell her for $400, which helped pay for the vet bills for Cozette.
Grant loved this cute little dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment